View Single Post
Old 28th December 2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Bill,
I am no expert....but my overall impression is ...it is not a tourist piece. How does it 'feel' in 'hand'......does the balance 'feel right'. The blade seems to have 'age' to it. The 'diagonal' marks/scratches are a little mysterious....but not all weapons were beautifully finished. I personally like it, is it the 'finish' that makes you suspect it is 'tourist'?
Hi,

I first saw the side plates with thin, bent metal, and it looked like it was trying to be something it was not. That was what set me off.

Looks like some band is missing around the end of the pommel, but that is incidental. The blade does look good and well-made.

You just cannot judge across cultural boundaries. You have to know the culture and how they produced artifacts. For instance I think that the Japanese have some of the technologically greatest blades. A really great Tibetan blade compared to an average Japanese blade will not be as good in a direct metalwork to metalwork comparison. This is no bad reflection on the Tibetans. Not better or worse, just different.

And I value those differences. This is just one of the benefits of collecting, to get to know different cultures and peoples.

If I am comparing a piece from the Tanjore Armoury to this Malabar sword, there will be a huge difference. However if I am comparing this Malabar sword to a known Malalbar sword, and they look similar. If they both have these touristy looking side plates and are supposed to have them, then it is a good sword I bought.

As you all know, I collect in a wide diversity of areas, cultures and countries. Being able to display and gather comments from the huge variety of people on this Forum is wonderful for me.

By the comments being made here, I am revising my opinion of this piece and I heartily thank you for being there for me!

I let an outside business problem put me in a bad mood. This problem is being fixed.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote