View Single Post
Old 18th June 2015, 05:27 AM   #26
Dimasalang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
In doing a little more research about Apalit and swordmaking, I came across an article in a Filipino newspaper that describes the town as a center for swordmaking before and during the Spanish period.
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/104837/...es-to-pampanga

The article mentions that the Apalit area had a long history of weapons manufacturing and likely: "... forged cannons and other weapons for the pre-Spanish Kapampangan kingdoms."

The historian who wrote this piece also was looking for a sword called "Bartolome" that was supposed to have been used by Katipuneros under the command of Andres Bonifacio:
“... unlike the common sword, the blade of Bartolome is “wave-like,” owing to curves similar to the kris. ... We’re told by old swordsmiths that the favorite of Katipuneros were this Bartolome. Those Katipuneros belonged to the Magdiwang group that Bonifacio led ... A foot and a half in length, the Bartolome had long been out of production.”
Has anyone seen or heard about this "Bartolome" sword? A picture would be great.

Ian
Thanks for sharing the info Ian!
The Magdiwang chapter of the Katipunan were all from Noveleta Cavite, and they were the rival group of Aguinaldos Magdalo chapter(located in same Cavite province but in the town of Imus). When the 1896 Revolution broke out, Bonifacio left Manila and entered Cavite where he associated himself more with the Magdiwang group, which was headed by General Mariano Alvarez. Mariano also had a son named Santiago who was also a general. The Alvarezs were in-laws to Emilio Aguinaldo. General Santiago Alvarez was one of the few that kept a diary and detailed accounts about the Katipunan and the revolution, which by many is considered a excellent primary reference. I have General Santiagos book, but he does not give any account of the types of bolos they used. This is the first I am hearing about a wavey style blade with the name Bartolome...particularly with the Magdiwangs being from the Tagalog region, wavy blades were not common I believe.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote