View Single Post
Old 21st December 2008, 06:14 AM   #24
ganjawulung

Default SELUT, CIREBON KERIS AND KEBO KANTONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggulametung
IMO it depends on the selut style. Sometimes the selut has a closing end leaving a hole for the peksi, but some other time it has an open end and simply intended to strengthen the hilt from crack despite of its decorative purpose. Maybe somebody else have an opinion about another purpose of mendak other than decorative purpose? I would say the space created by mendak will maximize the grip and intended for holder's safety againts his own blade.
Dear Tunggul Ametung, BlueErf and All,

Most kerises with Cirebon sheaths, hilts and seluts I found, existed without mendhak. But some of them, I found with very simple mendhak, and almost no decoration (as I show you below) on the mendhak. The function? At least it was a decorative purpose.

I am showing you too, "Tegal Keris, Sheath, and Hilt". The size is about the same with most Cirebon kerises -- 44 cm (17,5 inches) not including the pesi. It is longer and bigger than most Central Javanese kerises. About the same size too with normal Banten (Bantam) kerises. Kingdoms (Kasultanan, Sultanate) of Cirebon in the north coast of Central Jawa and Banten in the north-west of West Jawa had political and family relation in the past (16th-17th century). Tegal, is only 100 km from Cirebon.

Showing you too, another style of Cirebon Sheath and Keris, with Jawa Demam hilts (carved ivory). And for comparison, I am showing you too a Solonese (Central Jawa) keris. Cirebon kerises are mostly bigger than the other Javanese kerises. Showing you also, a keris with dhapur of "Kebo Kantong" (as mentioned by Alan). It is usually found in most parts of Jawa (I found this Kebo Kantong in Banyumas Area in the western part of Central Jawa).

Hope it will help you...

GANJAWULUNG (Dec 21, 2008)[/SIZE]
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 21st December 2008 at 04:23 PM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote