Old 26th July 2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Thanks for adding the pic!
I think it's more meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
The auction house didn't gave any support for their estimate - with them confounding horn and bone, I don't see any reason to put much trust in their descriptions...
I also don't put any trust in descriptions from auction houses but sometimes they have a reason for the age guess, would be worth to call them and ask for any background knowledge they may have. I was going with the patination the blade show at the auction house picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
The blade is quite nicely done, indeed. However, it does show the flow of lines and details of later rencong; also note the forging flaws at the bolster. It may predate WW2 a bit - however, much more important is that it does appear to be made by an Aceh bladesmith.
Agree with you that the "file" work is different from antique blades, maybe a sign that it is maybe not done by an Aceh smith? We don't will be sure about this point. The forging flaws you can find also by antique blades, see attached picture from one of my pieces: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=rencong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
BTW, the Chinese/Malay souvenir industry in Medan was already in full swing by the late 19th century! I'm pretty sure the fittings were done there (post-WW2).
So why it can't be pre WWII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Still, the genuine blade certainly makes this later example collectable.
Agree complete with you, it's a nice piece which show, that there was already early a small "tourist knife" market with well done pieces. I have a very nice worked Batak rawit where I am sure that it is worked for tourists since I've seen a lot other examples in exact the same style. BTW, I bid on this recong as well, but much lower.

Best regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote