View Single Post
Old 29th November 2021, 12:17 PM   #7
Saracen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftihis View Post
While i agree that this is a cretan yataghan, i dont think that the date 1826 has any significance as far as yataghan construction is concerned. Yes the yanijar corps were abolished at that date, but this had no influence in yataghan production!
I apologize for the late and very long (and probably not very literate in the language ) text, but such an event could not but affect such an attribute of the Janissaries as yataghan.
It was not just the abolition of the Janissary corps. Mahmud II was not going to forgive the janissaries for the murder of Selim (with whom he spent many months in the Seraglio during the reign of Mustafa and studied with Selim), in which he was almost killed himself (he was saved by a concubine, she hid him in a pile of pillows).
He had been preparing this action for a long time and thoughtfully and approached it very seriously in order to erase even the memory of the janissaries (and all their attributes).
For several years, Mahmud did not react in any way to complaints from residents from all over the empire about oppression by the Janissaries.
As a result, at the time of their revolt, all the residents joined the liquidation of the Janissaries (Mahmoud only needed to deploy Sanjak-Scherif).
First in Istanbul, and after the sultan's firman on the liquidation of the corps and throughout the empire. After that, the locals destroyed everything connected with the Janissaries.
Even their gravestones and their widows. The European diplomats who were in Istanbul at the time have a description of a case when the widows of the janissaries came to the square because they were left without homes and husbands.
They were promised to settle them on the Asian coast. They put them on longboats, but in the middle of the Bosphorus they pierced the bottoms of these ships and flooded them.
At that time, people even died for tattooing the orta sign on their hand, possession of a yataghan (especially its production) was too risky.
Saracen is offline   Reply With Quote