View Single Post
Old 1st September 2010, 06:00 AM   #6
BigG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Thanks a lot for sharing, Suhaimi! Nice restoration - wished I had those skilled artisans in my neck of the woods...
Good dependable restoration is a bug bear for anyone of us, even in and around here. Craftsmen who are willing to and can effect gd quality of restoration work is hard to come by.

Honestly, I was surprised that I had as good a piece as this when it arrived. My next worry was whether the craftsman that I was in contact with at the time would be able to do it justice. The thing about kemuning wood is that leaving it alone, to retain that old weathered look would simply not do it any justice. Antique kemuning piece, were hard to come by even then and it is almost impossible now. Not with the kind of fine grains that you can see here. Each single grain in the photo is actually a combination of finer ones when looked at closed up. Kemuning too has wonderful chatoyance. Only an experience craftsmen or a very patient and willing collector can do justice to it to really bring that shine out, while still leaving all the knicks & scratches in place.

The 3 mths that it was out of my sight in Trengganu was a really long wait for me. But thank God it came out as well as it did.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote