Thread: A dha a day.
View Single Post
Old 30th July 2006, 10:00 PM   #19
Titus Pullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUFF
Hi Titus Pullo, I 'm very interested in your source. The figure legend 's "Cut-off head Dahbs are for using with a buckler or rectangular shields". It is exactly the same with a note, attached with a cut-off head Dahb found in one of the armory.

I learned from Khun ParinYa that, when siamese go into a battle field as an army formation, each unit has to use a specific Dahb, according to the unit fighting style. Dahb and buckler fighting 's not any Dahb with a buckler. But a specific Dahb design for using with a buckler. Dual weilding style 's not a fighting with any two Dahb. But the style will be at its best with a primary Dahb and a secondary off-hand Dahb.
Puff, that is very interesting, what you have described. I thought there was only a few ways to use swords, spears and bucklers. I read somewhere that because the Thai put standard on the way the way they fight, anyone who came up with a new techniques must prove it worthiness in a dual. Thai swords maybe short but they are deadly. Being shorts allows the user to get in close and make the hacking and stabing much easier in a crowded place or a tight formation. This is the case as the Gauls found out when fighting the Romans. The Gaul swords were long so it was more difficult to hack at the Romans in a tight formation, and the Romans were able to hack and stab many Gauls. Their swords have shorter center of gravity and a bit more mass which allows for maximum hacking and thrusting ability. They were able to get close to the belly with a shield protecting the head and the body and stab the Gauls in the guts. Ofcourse it was a contributing factor to Julius Ceaser's victory over the Gauls, and plus he was a brilliant general.

Anyway, here is the link that you are interested in. It's the same one as the one above. http://www.usmta.com/thai-weapons.htm

Last edited by Titus Pullo; 31st July 2006 at 05:48 AM.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote