View Single Post
Old 11th September 2008, 07:45 AM   #22
kahnjar1

Smile Not True Martini Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Outstanding example of the Martini-Henry!! and actually one of my favorites as far as vintage military rifles.These can still be found at reasonable prices (beware of growing number of these of questionable integrity exiting Afghanistan from what I have heard).

Just noticed your comment re this. This is not a "real" Martini Henry, and the story goes that this is one of many which were "built" in Pakistan and traded or smuggled to various Middle Eastern countries. This one in 577/450 cal is very early and the later ones were .303. It has no marks of any sort but despite being a "copy" is surprisingly well made. Collected in the Oman during the time of the Yemeni incursions by a friend of mine who was a mercenary in the Sultans Armed Forces and subsequently smuggled out again when he left there for NZ. (Exporting of firearms was absolutely banned at the time.)
I believe that the backyard builders of firearms can make you anything you want including the AK47. When you consider that the machines which make the real thing are not available, I think they do very well!!!

There is most definitely a place where antique firearms can be discussed....right here! no need for a subforum as this forum is intended to provide a place for comprehensive general discussion of arms and armour from early to end of the 19th century, sorry Chevalier The 'modern' firearms, while exciting to shooting enthusiasts ,are better discussed in a more specialized medium not focused on historical weapons.
As Fernando has noted, modern firearms sometimes present a decidedly different connotation, one that many of us choose to not recall, and prefer to focus on the historical examples.

Fearn, excellent reference to the Trabuco Canyon story! Thank you!
I always thought 'Trabuco Canyon' had a most romantic ring to it, and here is a good example of the contrast between antique and modern.....imagine if a more familiar weapon was lost and we named it "12 Guage Canyon"
Just not the same.
--
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote