View Single Post
Old 7th June 2017, 07:06 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Akay, welcome to our forum!!! It is always exciting when someone who has been visiting a long time finally comes in, and especially nice entrance with this beautifully done koummya.
While I certainly cannot claim any special knowledge on these, I have learned a bit from those who frequent here that do, and Motan has made excellent observations most helpfully explained.

As Kubur has noted, the number seen in the scabbard is probably a proof mark, which if I understand correctly warrants the silver content rather than a hall mark which provides maker and year of make.

The blade on this seems to have some age, contrary to these fine mounts, and is of the traditional koummya profile and features. I agree this is too finely executed to be a souk item, and seems more likely made for a person of standing or means. While perhaps not worn, at least not much, these remain traditional accoutrements much as with the khanjhar in other Arab contexts. Actually it seems these are regarded as a Maghrebi form of khanjhar from what I have understood in some discussions.

Again, I agree with Motan, you do seem to have a most discerning eye!
Thank you for sharing this with us.

Best regards
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote