View Single Post
Old 10th February 2011, 05:54 PM   #14
laEspadaAncha

Hello Lee, and thank you, both for the compliments and for the link to your own exploratory journey pertaining to your own example of this iconic firearm, which I see took place just a couple months ago. I immensely enjoyed reading the feedback and input regarding your (C.? J.P.?) Beck rifle. Would you mind if I post those pictures here in this thread?

Until now I was unaware of the existence of the ALR forum (early firearms do not command my interest to the same degree as edged weapons), and I'm appreciative of the tip, one definitely worth pursuing.

One bit of interesting information regarding the gunsmith responsible for the manufacture of my own example: Evan Johnson was one of only two gunsmiths in North Carolina with rifle boring machines in the mid-19th Century...

Zwielicht, thank you, and it is indeed in nice condition, lacking any of the damage commonly found where such rifles were most susceptible to breakage.

Jim, my friend, the next time you're westward bound, at your request we will remedy that lack of exposure! Though I am somewhat confused, as I though in the Lone Star State, it was mandatory (state law, even?) that all Texans shoot something at least once a month?

Nando, such customs of variable trigger pulls as you describe make perfect sense, though personally, I would never want a trigger set to such a light pull as I described on the Plains rifle, as some tactile feedback is IMO important for the timing of a shot where accuracy and precision are at a premium.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote