View Single Post
Old 9th February 2011, 06:34 PM   #6
laEspadaAncha

Hi Norman,

Thank you! These exhibit a degree of workmanship that is unheard of now outside of high-end hunting rifles and O/U or side-by-side shotguns. While modern improvements in technology and manufacturing processes make available a degree of precision and accuracy unheard of 150 years ago (and earlier), skilled marksmen accomplished feats in their day that would be difficult for the run-of-the-mill better-than-average shooter to accomplish today. In one engagement during the American Revolutionary War / A.W.I., famous frontiersman Daniel Boone, armed with an early Kentucky long rifle, sniped an English officer with a center-placed headshot from a distance later measured to be 250 yards. That roughly translates to MOA accuracy, quite impressive for an 18th century rifled musket! I punch paper with a tactical .308 that - when I do my part - is capable of sub .5-MOA groups at 100 yards while shooting prone off bags. However, between 200-300 yards, I am fortunate enough - with decent glass and a head full of serenity - to keep it consistently around 1 MOA. What sharpshooters did in the 18th and 19th century with these rifles is nothing short of amazing.

Speaking of Daniel Boone, his father was one of the sharpshooters who fought along with the Patriot militias at Kings Mountain.

What's so impressive about the long rifle is how well-balanced it is given its seemingly ungainly length. As I mention in the original post in this thread, it is not difficult to shoulder this rifle, and it would be manageable firing offhand.

I would love to shoot this one, but given its value would be awfully remorseful to add any wear and tear. However, the other rifle I show along with it, a Pennsylvannia-smithed Plains rifle (another iconic early American rifle), looks like it wants to be shot.

Regards,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote