Thread: Valiant Swords?
View Single Post
Old 9th August 2021, 02:02 AM   #10
Mickey the Finn

Default Re: Quality.

I can vouch for the quality of Valiantco blades. I own dozens upon dozens of them. I've only had a problem with one blade, which I attribute to my own inappropriate use of a blade with too fine an edge to chop too near the roots.

As far as the monosteel blades go, these are not "wallhangers". The ones I've used are either on-par or better than mass produced machetes from a factory. When it comes to limbing recently fallen/ felled trees, a golok or parang is my first choice; an axe or hatchet is my last choice, and a chainsaw is a non-option. Around here, the chainsaw is the first choice; the axe/ hatchet and bowsaw are what you use if a chainsaw is unavailable. A machete is always a weapon used to rob or kill someone with; it is never, ever simply a cutting tool used in the bush or in the field. Nobody around here knows what a golok or a parang is, and they have neither the inclination nor the patience to learn. If they see one, it usually causes a hue and cry, "He's got a WEAPON! What the F^CK is THAT? That thing is CERTIFIABLE, and so are you! You're not allowed to bring a knife onto the shop floor. You keep them in your locker or you leave them at home".

I have been too cautious to use any laminated/ pattern welded blades for cutting.

They're worried about weapons, yet OLFA knives are standard issue, carpet knives raise no eyebrows [I work in the electric motor industry], nor does the "heavy half" of a break-down billiard cue, golf clubs [iron & wood], a 24" or 36" wrecking bar, or a dressage whip [it was there before I was hired]...

Mickey

Last edited by Mickey the Finn; 9th August 2021 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Additional information to clarify ambiguous statements.
Mickey the Finn is offline   Reply With Quote