View Single Post
Old 16th July 2010, 04:27 PM   #6
josh stout

I use the term “sword breaker” as a term for its function. Technically this is a jian, with a different inflection than “jian” the two edged sword. Jian have a square cross section. Other terms are “bian” or an “iron whip”, which seems to refer to round cross sectioned sword breakers, and “taiji” or iron ruler for rectangular ruler like weapons, often with Chinese inch marks.

I am worried because my Chinese friends say it is a fake. I am hoping they are wrong, but usually they are correct.

A South East Asian origin is an interesting hypothesis. I don’t see anything that is clearly not Chinese, but then again Chinese sword breakers are almost never that ornate. It may be why my friends are doubtful. Often Chinese influenced things from the SEA region will be more ornate than originals. I will see if there is any way to tell when I get it. I don’t think there are any inscriptions.

There was a time when the Chinese liked fake antiques to look as new as possible. Then there was a time when they were ham handed with fake patinas that you could spot from a mile away. Now they seem to have learned the art of carful distressing and aging of materials in a way that is making it tough to evaluate authenticity. The trickiest examples are often then sold through some of the less careful Western dealers.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote