View Single Post
Old 11th January 2024, 07:13 PM   #44
rysays

I was actually browsing an online gallery of early wheellock tinder lighters a few days ago and noticed they all had flints inserted (with unfortunate damage to the wheels from doing so!). After also seeing the flint-fired reproduction & the abrasion you pointed out in the original bar, it gave me the idea that the pyrite may not be original. From what I understand, both flint & pyrite require a hardened steel plate to strike against, only the principle of spark generation is inverted as you described. I imagine a detailed microscope or xrf study of the bar & residues might identify what was originally used.

I don't think I'll ever be convinced of the design as a viable firearm, and agree with the opinion that it is more likely an experimental curiosity, noisemaker, or elaborate tinder lighter. From what I understand, the chronology of early ignition systems is obscured by trade secrecy & their near-immediate prohibition in the HRE & Italian states, which were also the centers of development & manufacturing. What I'm very curious about is the apparent existence of very early invoices from Braunschweig which mention friction locks in 1447? I don't have a copy of the relevant book "Das Kunsthandwerk der Büchsenmacher im Land Braunschweig", but would like to find the origin of such claims.
rysays is offline   Reply With Quote