View Single Post
Old 15th November 2009, 06:38 PM   #15
katana

Hi
like Marc, I have reservations regarding the same dagger. I too freely admit I am no expert on medieval daggers....but several features do seem 'alien' to the daggers of the period.

The blade sits 'uneasily' within the cross guard and is not central. Rust and decay in that area could account for this, but with the good 'preservation' suggested, seems unlikely. The forte/tang area ( shoulder) would be shaped to fit the crossguard slot/hole to prevent movement, the handle and pommel once fitted 'locking' the components together.
The relatively deep fuller extends to the point, again AFAIK suggesting the blade has been shortened. Why design a blade that has a weakened point.....especially when it could strike/pierce armour and snap ?

The crossguard recess is almost 'diamond' shaped ....better designed to accommodate a blade that's cross section is square/diamond not a triangular section. This also suggests the crossguard and blade did not 'start life' together.

Also the fort of the blade where it meets the guard is flared .... I have not seen this on a cross guarded dagger of any period (but then this does not mean this is a fact) However, this 'flare' is seen where the blades butt up against a bowl or similar shaped guard.....like the short sword. See photos below.
If you look the size and shaping of these flares seem almost identical.

If this is not a medieval dagger, it is possible that this is a Victorian 'era' 'put together' ....common to the time due to the interest of Romanism and the fascination of the medieval period.

All these observations are from the pictures, which does not necessarily convey the 'whole story'. This is not an attack on the museum curator either, but people make mistakes, so his assessment should only be taken as a guide. After all doctors often seek a 'second opinion' ....even if they are certain their diagnosis is correct.

Look forward to your comments, all the best

Regards David
Attached Images

Last edited by katana; 15th November 2009 at 06:57 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote