View Single Post
Old 5th December 2007, 12:11 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting notes on the Jodphur Lancers, and that they indeed served in France and Palestine in WWI, and that the photos revealed no use of the kukri. Although the photos being considered do not show any kukri, this of course does not mean that they could not have been used by them, as such use may have been limited. I doubt very much that any kukris that might have been used however, would have been made exclusively for that unit. The diversification I suggested would have an ersatz development that would have precluded such defined attention, and if they were, it would seem they would have been stamped accordingly. It should be noted here that my suggestion of diversification of these units is of course speculation only and should remain regarded as such as we consider plausible ideas on why a lancer unit would be using kukris.

Since so many kukris were of course produced and widely used by many other forces than Gurkhas, then procuring such weapons for use might haved been accomplished via any number of ordnance diversions. Without specific markings or other evidence, such considerations to a specific unit must remain speculation as I have previously noted.

The kukri became a popular and fabled weapon much as did the 'Bowie' knife in America and of course commercialization undoubtedly found all manner of folklore and colorful tales to promote them. Unfortunately, these fables often present considerable problems in the accurate study of the weapons.

Spiral, may I ask more on your note that you have used the kukri for a long time.Were you in the British military? I have never handled a kukri, but am aware of the deep affection held for these knives not only by the Gurkhas themselves, but many military men. I recall research on the Gurkhas many years ago, and the late Brian Farwell ( author of "The Gurkhas") fondly telling me of him 'waving a kukri about' in talking of a documentary he appeared in for TV.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote