View Single Post
Old 20th August 2023, 05:09 PM   #1
Akanthus

Default Mark on blade .....who knows it..

Since several years i have a sword in my little collection ,whose blade marking i haven't seen yet.I bought it as a side sword around 1600.It is rather heavy but good ballanced.The hilt is rapierlike, but for a rapier the sword is too massive.I think it's a weapon for a mounted soldier ,very similar to those Jacob de Gheyn showed on his copper engraving.We call it Reitschwert ( Ridingsword ) in Germany.The blade shows the same marks on each side.There is the Passau ( Solingen ) Wolf which differs a bit and looks for me rather like a chamäleon.Certainly the wolf is engraved by hand and not stamped ,therefore the little differences in appearance.Then you find a cross,which was gladly used in Solingen.As third decoration there is a head in frontal view,which for me is a moor’s head and which certainly is the makers mark.These heads are known from Solingen blade makers of 16th.and 17th. century , like Beugel,Munsten and others.Also in Toledo they used these marks.But all the marks i know show the profile of the head,none the frontal view.Does anybody know the mark on my sword and the name of the maker of the blade ?
Attached Images

Last edited by Akanthus; 20th August 2023 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Ergänzung
Akanthus is offline   Reply With Quote