View Single Post
Old 29th April 2019, 08:56 AM   #5
RAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I agree with Jose that this blade is a really good catch!

Based on the flow of lines and surface condition, I'd be inclined to place the blade at mid-19th century to Span-Am war period rather than any earlier.

There is a good chance that the narrow engraved lines once had silver inlay; however, the motif close to the tip was a bit crudely cut. Maybe there is no undercut for better retention of any inlay?

The scabbard seems to be a later replacement which might be consistent with a WWII scenario. I'd try to remove the varnish after carefully glueing the recent crack (traditional wood glue, possibly with a de-oiling step for tropical woods; I reckon the wood is not really heavy hardwood though?).

BTW, aren't the service numbers from Victoria accessible?

I guess your PM is not activated yet. Feel free to contact me if you might be interested in a khukri trade:
HTML Code:
kai99.eaa@mailnull.com

Regards,
Kai
Thanks for the response. Yes I agree - not my area but I have handled enough old weapons to know when the blade and scabbard are the same date. And the scabbard would fit the 1940s date. The wooden pommel is of the same period to the scabbard and are covered in the same varnish. The workmanship of the blade is not lost on me and I have spent some time looking at the detail. I see no evidence of there being any silver in the lines. I can't see undercut as I have seen on some inlaid other blades.

I have done my best to use wood glue and have glued up the cracks - solid now and the kris can go in and out without the scabbard flexing.

My PM should be working as I have just had a PM from someone else.
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote