View Single Post
Old 13th April 2016, 08:40 AM   #19
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A
If I might be permitted to add to Kahnjar1's reply, I've found it very useful, as a relative amateur in the field, to spend a lot of time looking at commercial sites which are well known for the quality of their items, and the accuracy of their descriptions. Of course the images on this site are also of great value, though I'm late in arriving here.

While it is impossible to see many of these objects in hand, I've been able to refine my perceptions by front-loading my visual memory with images of the Real Thing. It's surprising in a way to see how that has paid off when perusing sites like the giant internet auction bazaar: fakes and such seem to spring out as I view them.
Hi Bob, and thanks for the response. I note your comment that you consider yourself an amateur....please don't short change yourself. We are all amateurs really as we are always learning. My point was rather directed at those who don't seem to want to learn despite having the tools to learn at their fingertips, whether it be from fellow collectors, books and the wide range of information on the internet.
The result of course is usually disaster in some form or other.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote