View Single Post
Old 4th February 2007, 02:05 PM   #14
Bill M

饕殄?

I did not think the names used by ALex to describe Chinese swords were tacky. I like them. I just could not remember what he called mine. Perhaps I should have said "fanciful" - "elaborate" - "grandiose" names instead of "funny." I meant no disrespect to Alex, the names, nor the swords.

Years ago I had regular email contact with Alex. I always liked him personally. Like I said, he has a great heart for the Chinese sword.

It is very sad about the state these wonderful swords have gotten to. Many countries do not have the heirlooms they once had. Heirlooms and regular well-loved general pieces have left their homelands. Particularly homelands that have lower economic bases than other countries. The higher end pieces, even the national treasures flow to the people with money.

I am also disturbed by the apparent fact that museums in the various homelands, do not care for the great pieces they DO have. Some allow good pieces to rust, forgotten in dusty basements and storage places.

At least most collectors take good care of their pieces even if fewer people can see them.

And I am not talking just about China. This is widespread.

Personally I am trying to find quality "homeland" museums that I would like to leave my pieces to when I pass on. This is not as easy as you might think. Sure there are big museums in Europe, UK, and USA, but how about Bali? Java? China? And Especially the Philippines?

The Jian that started this thread, even though the dress is a bit more elaborate than traditional should return to his homeland. But where?

The Moro pieces I post from time to time --- should return to their homeland. But where?

Who will take care of them and love them like I do? Who will display them as part of THEIR national heritage? My children? Hah! They would put everything on eBay. They have no interest in heritage.

Don't mean to hijack my own thread, but if some of you have some answers as to where my pieces can go, where they can return to their homelands, be displayed so others can enjoy them AND cared for as they should be, please PM me.

I hope this does not spark too many requests for birthdays and Christmas presents.

And let me add that I am not ready to start shipping pieces. Just drawing up my Will (and I am very healthy!)
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote