View Single Post
Old 1st December 2017, 07:50 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

With my apologies Green, the images are simply not good enough to provide a clear idea of what we are looking at.

However, that said, and based upon what I believe I can see.

Both keris are not current, nor recent, production, but both keris are eroded. When new they would have been of acceptable quality, but they are now old and tired.

The top keris has 9 waves, using the Surakarta Pakem as the reference, it is probably able to be classified as Dhapur Sempana. Sempana possesses the following ricikan:-

luk sanga, sekar kacang, jalen, lambe gajah, pejetan

pamor appears to be dwi warna, from these images, and considering blade condition, I hesitate to name the motifs.

The lower keris has 5 waves, using the Surakarta Pakem as the reference, this keris is diluar pakem, that is to say, it does not conform to a dhapur recognised by the Surakarta Karaton.

However, using Haryoguritno as a reference, we can come close to an accepted dhapur. Haryoguritno lists Pandhawa Lare ricikan as:-

kembang kacang, jalen, lambe gajah, pejetan, tikel alis, srawayan, greneng

this keris under discussion does not appear to have srawayan, it might once have had greneng, but now does not, the tikel alis is dubious, it might or might not have tikel alis

So using these two popular references, it is still diluar pakem.

However, if we move away from classical standards, and adopt a current convention, we could give the name of "Sempana Luk Lima" to this lower keris.

pamor appears to be tambal wengkon

It is absolutely impossible to give a tangguh classification from these images, even if the images were professional studio photos, it would still be impossible to give a supportable opinion on tangguh classification. A rough guess, yes, that could perhaps be given from good photos, something worthwhile, no.

In respect of dress, in broad terms, it is possible to dress any wilah in any wrongko, and fit any Javanese/Madurese hilt that one wishes to fit.

However, if we wish to be more or less correct in our choice of dress, the hilt should harmonise with the wrongko. Generally speaking, the only acceptable hilt to fit with a Central Javanese ladrangan wrongko, is a Central Javanese planar hilt of the type that is intended to be worn with that wrongko. Exceptions can occur, especially if we look at the type of dress that is accepted as usual for a Canthangbalung, or for a display keris that is not really intended for wear.

If the wrongko is a Madura or North Coast or Jawa Timur wrongko, a figural or highly carved hilt can sometimes be acceptable, but the height of such a hilt must be in harmony with the height of the wrongko.

If we move away from the accepted and established forms of dress the result can very often be far from pleasing, it can create a feeling of unquiet, or restlessness in the person viewing the keris, and this is the exact opposite of the feeling that should be created.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote