View Single Post
Old 1st December 2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
I just bought a couple of Javanese keris blades. I have a few questions that I hope some of you may help.

1: Dhapur. Both blades look the same form/dhapur to me. what dhapur is this called?

2: Pamor: The one with patches of pamor is 'tambal' from my understanding. Is this correct? what is the other blade's pamor type?

3: Age: The pesi of both looked quite heavily corroded especially towards the end. This does not necessarily mean that the blades are old as some people are quite adept at making blades look old... but based on the blade form and general look of the blades I won't be surprised if they are actually genuinely old. So, are these blades old? and this form of blades typically came from which tangguh?

4: I have a couple of ladrang wrongko that I hope to use for these blades. Are the ladrang type suitable for these blades? if not what are the suitable types?

5: What are suitable hilt type(s) for these? I am not a fan of simple zen like form of Javanese Deder and hoping to use alternative types if appropriate. I am wondering if cheribon pesisiran hilts would be suitable?... the bota bajang and their ilks? or even maduran donoriko/jagungan/ tree of life types? would these be compatible with ladrang wrongko?

Sorry for the long Qs but bad pics.
Hello Green,
Some replies to your questions:
1: The top blade has 9 waves and the bottom one 5 waves so they have a different dapur type. The dapur of the top blade is Sempana with one exception? (greneng) and the bottom one is Pendawa Lare with two exceptions? (tikel alis & greneng).
2. The pics are poor so I am not sure but but the top blade seems to have a pamor pattern dwiwarna (Toya Mambeg/ Ngulit Semangka nggajih) and the bottom blade pamor Tambal Wengkon.
3. Both blades look old but their quality does not qualify them for attributing a tangguh, the top one is probably from East Java and the bottom one from Central Java.
4. Yes, a ladrang wrongko would be suitable for these blades.
5. A Javanese nunggak semi hilt is the best choice for matching with these blades and the ladrang wrongko but a Madurese hilt would be convenient also if desired.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote