View Single Post
Old 30th May 2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'm with you Ken.......British cavalry swords are among the most intriguing forms (have you gotten Richard Dellar's new book yet?) and the M1788 and M1796 are most interesting as the first unofficial and official 'patterns'.

Absolutely superb job of conserving this very attractive British hanger, and this does seem a good example of a variation which was probably fashioned in England around the 1740s. It is tempting to think of it possibly as a prototype for the two branch form recognized as the 'M1751', but in those times independent makers of course deviated considerably. This was of course more likely for hilts fashioned from iron as opposed obviously to the cast brass hilts which predominated these hangers.

As noted, the still somewhat discernible 'fox' marking was used by Samuel Harvey and it seems typically his initials were incorporated into the mark. In this case, though the initials I presume are not visible, it still seems I can see the brushier tail characteristic of the English versions of the 'running wolf'.

An excellent acquisition Ken! and astutely recognized despite its rough condition. While many of these kinds of hangers were so widely produced and many of almost munitions category, this one is far 'off the beaten path' and is tempting to consider it was possibly an officers.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote