View Single Post
Old 30th December 2013, 09:34 AM   #15
GIO

I always remember (and have also written of this a couple of years ago in another thread) that 15 years ago I found in an antique arms shop in Liverpool an apparently perfect Bali kris, with well executed pamor (ngulit semangka or wos wutah). The only odd detail was the ganja welded to the blade. I was told that it had been made by a skilful local smith (later I discovered that he is also making Japanese-type blades with a similar mastery). This said, I am asking myself if that kris - apart from the ganja problem - could or not be considered a "legitimate kris". In my opinion it could, since the raw materials and the production process are the traditional ones, the dapor is identical to that of an old Bali kris, the prabot is executed with masterly skill, and the pamor is exactly as one expects to find on an original blade.
I think therefore that the basic question (legitimate kris or not) cannot be simply answered and that one should find a solution on a case- by- case basis, taking into consideration the basic parameters listed above (dapor, prabot and pamor).
Who knows how many "western-produced kris" are circulating today among collectors ?
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote