View Single Post
Old 1st February 2016, 04:14 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all... I wouldnt necessarily bother about the scabbard ..or the wood inside it...because often the scabbards are from another weapon or replaced new . I would exercise caution on the coin which looks golden coloured but may well be brass.. like the metal strip next to it. The hilt looks like cowhorn (although with Yemeni Jambia there was a lot of Rhino used...and transferred from Rhino Hilted Swords from Ethiopia)... Guessing the age of the blade is also difficult but I dont think it is that old...again blades get replaced thus what parts were original?

Clearly this wasnt knocked out last week but trying to decide when the original was hoisted is very difficult...if not impossible. If it is a vital question I would err on the safe side and say about 50 years, however, with recent additions...

I would prefer a question as to what type of belt and how it was worn and the idiosyncracies of these daggers and how they have been adapted added to or had parts replaced? etc.

On the hilt question I add from Wikepedia Quote" The most famous sort of the janbia is that which has a "saifani" or ivory handle. It has a dim yellowish luster. The more translucent ivory will turn a yellow color with age. This is called "saifani heart". Some of the ivory handles are called "asadi", when they turn into greenish yellow. When the handle becomes whitish yellow, it is called "zaraf". There is also an albasali (onionish), kind whose color looks like that of a white onion."Unquote.

There is another expensive rare horn called almosae but I am not certain from what it comes..

I saw a very impressive Jambia at http://shbabon.blogspot.com/2013/07/...rt-dagger.html and record a picture of it below;

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 1st February 2016 at 06:10 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote