View Single Post
Old 16th January 2023, 06:38 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Sumatran keris for comments please

Keris are definitely not my forte. I would appreciate some thoughts about this old one that I was gifted by a colleague when I was doing some consulting work in Sumatra in the 1970s. It's at least 50 years old, and looked pretty old and worn when I received it. He said it had been in his family for "some time."

The hilt seems to be brass, but it appears to have had a silver finish originally that has rubbed back on the flat areas to the yellow brass. Similarly, the decorated metalwork on the scabbard has a siiver look but the bands are definitely brass.

The blade seems very ordinary and could do with re-etching. When I received it the blade had been treated with sandalwood oil and smelled lovely. Fifty-plus years later it still smells good.

I'm interested in your thoughts about the daemon hilt and what it represents. Also, possible age and the area of its origin. I will not be offended if you tell me it's just a tourist piece and not a great keris. I don't expect it to be. Just interested in your thoughts.

Ian.

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote