Thread: Axe for ID
View Single Post
Old 21st October 2014, 05:07 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Here are detailed pictures ... and some support text.
I would not know whether this could a be a Portuguese or Spanish model.
After searching on Hachas de Abordaje (castillian) i found some examples, from which i am posting the one that should be in service in the same period ... which is so different than the example in discussion.
No results were found searching in portuguese, using the possible name variations, starting by Machado de Abordagem, then Machado de Marinha followed by other possibilities. I will have to dig further into such probability.
As already expressed here, the pick is similar to 1800's British pattern, but the blade has a distinct shape.
One thing we know is that this is not some sort of prototype, as the other one coming from the same provenance has the same shape ... only the handle being apparently made of a not so dark wood.
Mark's suggestion that this could be a private purchase stands open; but consider that its (last) owner was a Navy officer.
The pick has an 'offset' edge, one of the sides being more angled than the other, almost flat.
The right face of the blade has a more rustic forging.
There are three grooves in the handle near the lanyard orifice, but they are so superficial that almost faded away.
It is not impossible that a certain 'flaw' on the pick be a maker's mark; it has some lines too geometrical to be a default, resembling an estucheon.
Weight: 918 grams.
Handle length: 59 cms.
Langets length: 14 cms.
Blade & pick dimensions: 20 X 13 cms.

Attached Images

fernando is online now   Reply With Quote