Thread: Spanish Steel
View Single Post
Old 8th September 2008, 01:35 PM   #6
celtan

Howdy Jim,

I'm not really sure these full-stops were anchors, although they do look similar. To me they look more like a mount topped by a cross, sometimes two, one right above the other.

Mount Calvary, perhaps?

I have read somewhere that others actually see a in it primitive dog figure, with raised tail. Which could point to the so-called "Wolf-of-Passau", also used by Solingen, but which truly was a copy of the famous 15th C. Spanish armourer "Maestro Perrillo" (Julian something) trade's mark.

In any case, this full-stop was used both in Solingen and Toledo blades. Which doesn't help pinpoint manufacture origins.

Here we have in some Museums deposits a bewildering array of precious blades mated to plain, beaten up cup-guards and hilts. Obviously a later combination, not done by the blade-smith.

Take care!

Manuel Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
It seems that Solingen from these times really has thrown us some curves! I recall how astonishing it was to realize after years of admiring those 18th century Spanish 'dragoon' broadsword blades so often seen on Spanish colonial swords, and discovering that they were Solingen products sent to the colonies for mounting. These Solingen rapier blades were also part of the inventory it seems. I have one with this same cross section with 'Jesus' on one side and 'Maria' on the other, and a spurious Toledo stamp, much in the fashion of the 'anchor' on this one.

All of these are the more fascinating to me with my deep interest in the Spanish colonial weapons. These other two rapiers you have posted are beautiful as well, I cannot ever see enough of these kinds of examples.

All the best,
Jim
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote