View Single Post
Old 24th August 2020, 02:08 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Yvain, I wanted to thank you as well for the stellar effort you put into not only translating this key article among the literature on takouba, but for the wonderfully useful addition of annotation integrated into it.

One of the most common obstacles in the study of ethnographic arms is often the language barriers in much of the literature available for study, in addition to many of these often being, like this one, quite old and hard to find.

The approach you have initiated here is fantastic, and in my opinion, will hopefully lead to these venerable and often obscure articles offering most important material and understanding to students of arms history and ethnography, thanks to your annotation.

As has been noted, there are of course numerous errors and flaws often in this older material, but by the use of annotation they are brought 'into the fold' by showing the material observed often 'in real time' of earlier period and in place with that of subsequent research since.

My furnishing of copies of these articles to you was of course a pleasure in being able to help you with your research, but you have returned the favor tenfold by generously working to translate and most importantly, annotate, this most important material.

Thank you so very much!!!
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote