View Single Post
Old 10th January 2022, 05:05 PM   #7
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
Please watch your Google Translator: “shashka” is not translated as “ checker”.

Checker is a nonexistent singular of English “ checkers”, a board game that in Russian is called “ shashki”. Machine translation is brainless:-)

But I am glad you have changed your position : you used to trace the appearance of Afghan pseudo-shashka to the Russians who brought this pattern to Afghanistan and defended it in your book. Of course, it is not a shashka. Glad you finally agree. I know full well Elphinstone quote about “ shumsheers”: if you read my earlier post, you will find it. And it was in my review of your book.

There is nothing bad in the word “pseudo” : Lebedynsky just indicated that the Afghan example had very little ( and questionably not at all ) with the Caucasian one.

Glad we are beginning to agree and that you are beginning to accept my critiques in a positive, useful and constructive way.

With best wishes,

Good luck!

P.S. I understand you are collecting materials for a book on Central-Asian weapons. If you wish, I shall be ready to go over the preliminary draft and express my opinion. I also have several interesting examples of these weapons and shall be glad to provide you with photos and descriptions. Hopefully, they will make the future book more comprehensive. Let me know.

Again, good luck!
(Reply redacted by Moderators)

Last edited by Ian; 13th January 2022 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Removal of abusive response
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote