Thread: Unusual takouba
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2015, 10:06 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent example Iain!!! and as always these blades are a challenge.
I am inclined to support possible Indian attribution to this blade, mostly to the curious arrangement of markings. The 'inscription' in the fuller appears to be some sort of approximation of the acrostic invocations and slogans often seen on early Italian blades and later the similar system of separation of letters in names etc. with dots, crosses or devices used in Germany/Toledo.
These seem to be 'A's punctuated with 'twig' marks (began in Italy 16th c., see Mann, 1962, p.255, Wallace Coll.).
The mark at blade edge resembles German adaptions of these covered by a disc latter 16th c. (op, cit. A535). ....often accompanied by the 'sickle' marks.

What is unusual are the 'twigs' between the 'A's (usually used elsewhere in marking in European context); the double use of the 'sickles' flanking the 'inscription'; and the placement of the sickle/disc near the blade edge (usually not in such location on European blades).

I would think this could very well be Indian interpretation of 'firangi' blades as used in their 'khanda' basket hilts....but of course could be German 'blank' stamped by Indian artisans. In any case, the blade likely filtered through Indian entrepots before entering Red Sea routes.

I always think these 'rainguard' type extensions on some North African swords are fascinating (I cant recall whether it occurs on kaskara)..and begs the question of direct influence of fully mounted European swords there in earlier times. It does not seem that a decorative 'langet' fits typical style for these swords in native parlance.

On the 'sandwich' extension covering upper section of blade. Was there a purpose for these? It seems to suggest bolstering of the blade but then the effect may be as with the 'langet' simply decorative?

Examples like these become perfect prompts for seeking answers to these kinds of questions, as well as continued study of blade traffic into these regions.

Thank you so much Iain for your continued and tenacious study on these, and especially for sharing them here. I hope others with similar featured examples might enter them as well.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote