Thread: Scissors Katar
View Single Post
Old 10th March 2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a truly interesting type of Indian weapon which well illustrates the innovative skills of the Indian armourers, however I remain skeptical on the practicality of these as suggested by Holbein. Despite his extremely valued observations and outstanding work in the study of these arms, it was very much a common presumption in evaluating these unusual features.

This has been an occurrence on a number of weapons features such as a long and inconclusive study I did on deliberately placed notches in the blade back near tip on Austrian cavalry swords. It was claimed by Eduard Wagner ("Cut and Thrust Weapons",Prague, 1967) that these notches were placed in the blades to 'worsen the wounds'. Curiously, the feature existed on some sabres in the same place near the tip*...how could this 'worsen' a slashing wound? though its use on the straight pallasches seems understandable.
Similar dynamics were presumed during WWI with the frightening looking sawback bayonets. It was presumed that these were intended to produce horrible wounds, however in reality they were for utility use and to thrust with one it would become instantly imbedded in the victim, hardly a worthwhile situation for its user. Still, the propoganda oriented myth caused notable reaction with the forces and German soldiers caught with these were dealt with severely.

In my lay understanding of physiology pertaining to use of weapons, it is my perception that in most cases depending on area of penetration, to expand these blades within (unless extremely powerful spring)would be largely improbable. There is also again, the case of the user becoming immediately disarmed as the dagger would be of course irretractably lodged in the body.
My next question would ask what would be the purpose of heightening what would already be a mortal wound. The same with the 'toothed blades', the thrust in most cases was already lethal and the only outcome with this feature would be the impairment of withdrawal of the weapon.

In Richard Burton (1885, p.136) a German 'main gauche' (left hand dagger) is shown with three blades expanding by spring when button pressed and forming a guard of great breadth with which to catch the opponents blade.
These of course were known in many instances in Europe, and as far as I am aware were primarily intended as sword catchers.

It seems that these innovative European 'novelties' may have caught the attention of Indian armourers during the colonizations, and interpretations of these fashioned to impress wealthy and courtly connected patrons.

It would be interesting, despite these observations, to hear more on what potential there would be for the perceived use described by Dr. Holbein.
These type daggers, both Indian and in the case of European, have been the subject for considerable debate and contention, even with Egerton Castle (1885) the fencing authority, who questions the use of left hand daggers and 'sword breakers' in any degree as commonly held.

* this of course would be excepted in the case of the high tierce thrust with sabre when 'giving point'.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote