Thread: Figural !
View Single Post
Old 28th November 2012, 09:21 PM   #40
A. G. Maisey

Sajen, I could always be wrong, but I must say that I have never seen an ivory hilt that was blackened as heavily as this one is; the pattern of this hilt is a very prevalent one for recently made hilts. My gut feeling is that you will find it to be made of some substance other than ivory, but there may be a small ring of ivory glued to the base of the hilt.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that when dealing with sellers in Indonesia things are very often not what they are presented to be. You may not have bought this directly from Indonesia, but somebody did.

Let me tell you about a silver gilt hilt that I bought many years ago in Malang.

Absolutely beautiful hilt, old style gilt, superb workmanship, and a price to match, but it was gilded and thus just about impossible to test to see if it was silver or not. Luckily there were a couple of high spots on the face where the gilt had worn off and the silver was exposed, so I took it to a jeweller in a nearby stall and had these spots tested. They tested positive as silver. I bought this beautiful hilt and paid silver price for it --- there is a big difference in price between silver objects and copper or brass objects.

It took me several years before I discovered that the exposed high spots on the face of this hilt were tiny specks of silver that had been added to the copper base of the hilt, for the express purpose of being exposed to allow a test for silver.

I've been flim-flammed many times in Indonesia --- and a few times in other places too. Its called "education".
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote