View Single Post
Old 21st November 2008, 10:14 AM   #30
Jean B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo G
With all due respect, in my modest forging knowledge, curving in such way a blade already fullered, presents a great deal of difficulty. The problem is not no make the curve, but the metal in the outside of the curve strechtes and the inside make wrinkles, as the metal is shrinked, even in hot. So, the form of the edge, the fuller and the back must be reshapen, and the blade tempered again, grinded and polished. I wonder if this can be made on a blade already finished, and without extra material to work and expend. I would love to learn how can this be made, as my knowledge on this matter is not sufficient.
Regards

Gonzalo

Yes, I agree it is amazing, but the marking and military inspector's mark give the assurance that the sword, once in its lifetime, matches the military standard and patterns of this government controlled factory and is the property of the government (the French ministry of war paid for it).

For me it is similar as if I find a military M16 rifle, with all the proof markings and a serial number corresponding to a batch sold to the US government years ago. And marking show also it was issue, and reissued, to the service. But...it has a knot made with the barrel.

Now, what hypothesis will I choose?
1) The US army ordered to the factory a batch of M16 with a knot in the barrel and issued it to troops. However there are no traces of such order or trials in archives and no other examples of a similar rifle in museums or military patterns room.

2) An armourer took a standard M16 rifle from military stock and managed to make a knot with the barrel.

I think I can only choose number 2 even if I 'll keep asking myself how this bloody armourer managed to make the knot in the barrel and...without altering the rifling!

I know the example is extravagant but it is only to show my reasoning process.

Cheers,
Jean

Last edited by Jean B.; 21st November 2008 at 10:31 AM.
Jean B. is offline   Reply With Quote