View Single Post
Old 10th October 2016, 06:14 PM   #1
Roland_M

Default unknown African saber - old Mandinka?

Hello all,

today I have this recently won African saber. I think it comes from North Africa, until now my researches are fruitless.

The blade looks european but it is very sure a local production, obviously inspired by an european saber. The ~70cm long blade is thin, flexible and very light. I cannot see any signs of lamination.
The construction of the scabbard is interesting, it has a wooden core, a thick layer of textiles and a cover made from leather. The piece seems to be very old, the scabbard including its wooden core is flexible like rubber.
The hilt is also filled with textiles and covered with leather.

At the end of the blade is a long pommel or hammer. The hammer/pommel was made from iron (almost non-magnetic) and was once completely covered with yellow metal, probably brass.

I'm unsure what I got and whether it is worth a restoration. Some tips what I could do with the lost leather at the hilt would be very useful. The blade has some remains of a bumbling restoration attempt with a Dremel or something like that. Thats a good reason for me to polish the blade back to ist original Beauty, because it was once finished very carefully, the surface is almost flat like a mirror.

Best wishes,
Roland
Attached Images

Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote