View Single Post
Old 12th May 2013, 02:18 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default Caribbean Spanish colonial cuphilt rapier

Pics to follow soon!

I thought I would be 85 by the time I could afford one of these, but it came 40 years early ( ). Finally got time to post a few pics of this not-too-often seen example of cuphilt.

Picked this one up for a song! It's a colonial piece, circa 1700, similar to its European cousin, but with characteristics that make its origin clear. Plain cup hilt exhibiting simple line work where the guardo pulvo (spelling?) would be. Solid horn grip hollowed out to allow the tang to pass through. The quillons are more decorative than most, possessing a rounded end with adjoining rings. I particularly like the branches coming off the knuckle bow to join the cup. The kicker is the mushroom-shaped pommel so defining of these Caribbean pieces. On top of pommel is an odd shaped design that resembles a pair of lips! Very odd and not a casting flaw as it is raised up. Long, straight plain rapier blade with single fuller, blade length is almost 38". It makes a welcome addition to my 'scurvy pirate' collection. Aarrrr!

For listed examples, see-

'Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America:1700-1821', by Brinckerhoff/Chamberlain- plates 125-126

'Arms and Armor in Colonial America', by Peterson- pg 74.
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 12th May 2013 at 06:01 AM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote