Thread: Ottoman Pala
View Single Post
Old 24th January 2008, 07:18 PM   #10
rand

Default Kilij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Thank you for posting that example Rand! One cannot deny these are beautiful swords and while the lavish mounts may be considered ostentatious by some, as artwork thier effect is pretty amazing.
Perhaps you might recall the Islamic pamphlet I mentioned in my post from yesterday, I think it was Rich Wagners collection but since from memory, who knows

I mentioned in my earlier post also that I thought this might be an old blade that may have been embellished for either presentation or diplomatic gift. Perhaps I might ask for your opinion on that idea.

Thanks very much,
Jim
Hey Jim,

Very difficult from the photos' to make an opinion of the blade in question, but it certainly looks to be a period blade and of the period or earlier than the scabbard. Would certainly agree that the gold koftgrari is most llikely a later addition, also am of the opinion it makes little difference to the swords value.

Its surprising how crude the workmanship is on these 18/19th blades are and yet they are in high demand. It makes me wonder what it is we do not know.

Have heard that these swords may have been worn by high ranking officers (generals) for parade or court but have no published text to corroborate this.

Would also keep an open mind in that the Polish swords after the 16th C. may have had influence on the Ottoman swords.

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote