View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2014, 04:28 PM   #2
ausjulius

hi nice root ball, it does appear to be rather old..
and it is true tribal warefare and also fighting between stockmen and tribal black fellows was still taking blade in the 30s and 40s in the top end and isolated areas of Qld..
when i lived in darwin there was urban legends of punitive actions in ww2 by australian soliders against tribes in the top end who had assisted the japanese... wheather true or not that would be the last case of such activities..

i believe however the carving is the handy work of a european not of a native aborigine.
not at all their style, north queenslad had the most irregular carving colouring and such and they dont/didnt produce anything like this
i woudl say this is most defiantly a genuine antique rootball aboriginal club but the carving has been applied far in the past but a non aboriginal person based on what the presumed the aboriginal carving would look like for their own plesure, i have seen such kind of work on boomerangs before typically pocket knife carvings. a kangaroo. snakes ect. done like a westerner would carve if they were to attempt to replicate an animal on wood for the first time.
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote