View Single Post
Old 9th August 2007, 02:25 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Pakana,

From spiritual point of view, traditionally keris is hung on the wall. The boards / holder is more appropriate in this aspect. Do remember, the spirit of the keris needs to breathe too, and being enclosed in the cupboard may suffocate him .

Penangsang
I think this is mostly a Jawanese perspective. AFAIK keris boards are not used in Bali. At least i have never seen one large enough to accommodate the larger Balinese form. Special plush lined boxes are also known for storing special keris, though i do bring the one i keep in such a box out in the open air regularly to avoid suffocation.
Personally i like to display my collection in my study for my own regular appreciation, but i do understand that others prefer to keep their keris mostly stored away. I think it might also depend on just how large your collection might be. I use a combination of wall boards (blawong), keris racks (ploncon) and a variety of Balinese standing figural holders to do the job. But i think that if you feel more comfortable keeping your keris in a closable cabinet that it is just fine.
On a more practical level one might want to consider such elements as temperature and humidity. If you have a way to controls these where your are stored, all the better. I, unfortunately, do not, but i live in a climate which generally doesn't hit the high extremes. In the winter i usually make sure there is a bowl of water nearby to evaporate into the air to cut down on the dryness. I also make sure that my blades are regularly oiled and, on the more spiritual side, smoked with incense.
David is offline   Reply With Quote