Thread: small dha
View Single Post
Old 11th August 2009, 07:11 PM   #12
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Memory

Memory is such a fragile thing. Yes Mark those are the posters i sent you and that is the book, specifically Lung Phra Derm, pictured on the poster.
I actually got the book from the same lady in the reflection of the pictures posted by khandjar1, but they had others at the Chatu Chak market. i doubt that it's anything you could pick up outside the country.

And yes you are correct that the defining feature is that is was blessed by a prominent monk, though most current ones (i'd guess last 50 years or so -it;s a generational thing I believe - makers and monks team up on these things) do follow a similar blade profile and scabbard shape, many, especially the smaller ones having a rectangular bone scabbard with 3 to 4 metal binding (larger ones generally wood but same profile).

Which is why I believe Freddy has a very old one - the scabbard fits the older profile (sword and dha) as well as the grip and while the blade doesn't have the same decoration and script it does have some, which is unusual for an older blade, all supporting what the dealer claims that it is a meed maw or meed phra (used interchangeably).

How are you my friend, the last few years have been a blur for me. Apologies for not staying in better contact with you and the rest of the Dha Guys.

Dan
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote