View Single Post
Old 30th October 2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Oriental-Arms

Default Yataghan / Flyssa

Hi Jim and all others.

I am intrigued by this thread. I can not say I am convinced with the statement that the Flyssa is evolved from the Yataghan (I am not trying to open a new debate like the similar one mentioned above) Evolution in such a short period of time of several hundred years only, should have left in the Flyssa some characteristics of its forefathers: Be it blade shape, or handle shape or balance of blade, or mode of use or even general dimensions. I can not find any of these above. Furthermore, The Flyssa distribution is quite limited to a rather small Geographical area and people, whereas the Ottoman empire spread all over the place, so why it was evolved to another form of sword only in one place?? Also, we are all familiar with Yataghans (In a classical Yataghan shape) Coming from Algier and Tunis, so both an evolved version and a none evolved version were leaving side by side?? The answer may be yes to all and I would love to hear more and change my mind.

To add to my confusion, I am holding a Yataghan, with a classical blade shape and eared handle and length and weight, but the scabbard is wood, carved in a very similar and typical Flyssa scabbard carving, even with the belt loop identical. So I wonder where this one came from (Unfortunately the scabbard of this one was badly attacked by worms and it is under restoration now. It will take some time before I would be able to post photos)
Oriental-Arms is offline   Reply With Quote