Thread: The Vikings
View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2016, 09:19 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

They did travel very far, not only to Ireland and England, they also travelled down the Russian rivers. They came to Constantinoble, to Rome and many other places. Mostly they did this to trade, but in some places they were violent as well.
In graves in Denmark they have found strange things, like drinking glasses, glass pearls and other things from the south.
Due to DNA analysis they have also found out that some, even before the time of theVikings, came from places very far - travelling thousands of kilometers - and at that time - without planed and trains.
Somewhere I have some pictures of excavated Viking swords, and I will try to find them.
The most impressive Viking sword I have seen was at a friend. It had a rather short blade but quite broad with only one fuller, the quillons were long and downwards bend, but the hilt was like on one a two hand sword, to this came that the pommel was round and quite heavy. IT was a very impressive weapon, but as I have lost contact to him I cant show any pictures.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote