View Single Post
Old 10th January 2014, 05:00 PM   #29
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent note on the effect of the Egyptian campaigns on military fashion in England and in France as well, with regard to the case of the Mameluke officers sabres. I once had a M1803 Flank Company officers sabre which was in accord with the pattern, with the exception of the lionhead, which instead of familiar flowing mane had the lion with a sphinx type headdress . It did not have exceptionally curved blade though and I mention it strictly to the note on military fashion.

I am wondering if the deep curve might have been intended in concept for more effective slashing cuts in close quarters? though the idea is admittedly tenuous but needs to be considered as possible and observed in process of elimination.
I still think the fashion factor remains the most plausible, the drawing of these out of the scabbard issue not withstanding. Naturally if the sword is out before initiation of combat that is a moot point.

Burton (1884) speaks to the Ethiopian shotel in traditional form on p163, "...the shotel or Abyssinian sword is a direct descendant of the khopsh-falchion . Nothing is less handy than this gigantic sickle; the edge is inside, the grip is too small, and the difficulty of drawing the blade from the scabbard is considerable." Further describing derisively the blade of 37 inches along the arc and the weapon "..never belonging to a race of swordsmen".
It would seem that Burton, though predating the Napoleonic sabers by nearly two decades, certainly would reflect the view of staunchly traditional British swordsmen toward the effectiveness of such curved blades as shown in his narrative.
I think he would have been stunned by such dramatically 'fashionable' sabres, but as we know, times change.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote