View Single Post
Old 6th January 2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Nando,
I think Sirupate is spot on, as it seems flank company officers did seem to favor in many cases these deeply parabolic blades, though it seems that may have been incidental. I have seen the familiar M1803 lionhead brass hilt forms (for infantry officers but also flank company officers)with the slotted guard with these kinds of blades on occasion . I have stirrup hilt sabre with deeply parabolic blade and unusually canted hlt which has been regarded as a variant M1796 ( I will see if I can find photos).

Whether your example was originally mounted in M1796 stirrup hilt (before restoration) is unknown. However that blade does seem to be with some slight resemblance to fullering of 1796 light cav, though obviously not remotely like the hatchet point blade.

The 1790s was a most innovative period for British cavalry swords as great interest was centered on the effectiveness of various sword forms, as LeMarchant introduced the first regulation patterns in 1796. Although the M1796 light and heavy cavalry forms were pretty consistant, there were still variations as many forms of blades were considered, even one case of a M1796 light cavalry sabre with recurved yataghan type blade (carried by the commanding officer of 10th Hussars at Waterloo).

Beyond the testing and prototypes regarding the most effective blade forms (which included tulwars, kilij, and of course the European forms, some with yelman) in this period, there was also a profound obsession with military fashion. While the colorful and often somewhat dramatically overdone clothing was part of the obsession with image and status, in many cases the swords also were rather exaggerated. The fashion for some time was to have the sabre low slung so that the scabbarded sword would effectively drag along (the reason for the 'drag' fixture at the chape). This added to the 'swagger' effect along with the colorful headgear, tunics etc. I would note here that even the much fabled ' Beau Brummel' was for a time in one of the British cavalry regiments and around this time.

It seems quite possible that these considerations might have had some bearing on the use of these dramatically parabolic blades, as the deep curve does not seem to have had any particularly pragmatic reason otherwise.

So I suppose this blade may have been either a prototype in this period, or perhaps the selection of a fashion conscious young officer. I cannot say whether this might be Portuguese or British, but as you know in many cases these were closely connected.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote