View Single Post
Old 30th April 2013, 09:01 AM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Kai, I feel it is probably too late to suggest anything. As I understand it, this book is already in production, and Pauzan is not the only person concerned. The gentleman who is behind this publication is a very canny, experienced person who is well aware of interest in keris outside Jawa, and S.E. Asia, and additionally has English as a second language. My guess is that he has already thoroughly assessed the market and would have a good understanding of the bottom line. If he has been able to see a return in publishing in Indonesian and English, we will possibly see some English text, if, after analysis he has seen a decline in his percentile return if he provides English text, then I doubt that we will see any English text.
If I were involved in something like this, as an Indonesian, I very much doubt that I would provide English text, I believe I would find that the increase in sales measured against the cost of providing that text would be insufficient to convince me to get a translation done and fund the additional cost of production.