View Single Post
Old 9th July 2013, 04:47 PM   #23
kronckew

fantasy? it's not quite a klingon bat'leth or a hibben stainless steel construct.

i saw 'real' ones that were close enough to this one.

i could have had a more historical replica i guess, but the intent was not to have a passable 100% accurate fake copy of an existing period piece, but one close enough that still worked. the maker may have used a bit of artistic license. it is after all an interpretation in a 21st c. sword, not a 16th c one. at least it is hand made, forged and ground rather than a mass produced machine made one stamped out of sheet metal with plastic parts.

ultimately i chose that model because i liked it better than the others. the same as my greyhounds, who were chosen not because they were the best of breed, or the fastest racers or the best hunters, they were just good dogs and we suited each other. i enjoyed them in spite of people shouting at me that they were too skinny, or looked more like deer, or lost someone money when the had bet on them in a race. or even the ones that insisted they weren't real greyhounds. they were.

all-in-all, aren't all 'rapiers' a 'fantasy' weapon? what is a 'rapier'? this seems to be a broad made-up term for a broad class of long skinny bladed thrusting weapons with fanciful elaborate (or not so elaborate) guards, most of which were never called or considered 'rapiers' by their owners.

Last edited by kronckew; 9th July 2013 at 05:42 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote