View Single Post
Old 8th June 2018, 10:30 PM   #10
A. G. Maisey

Yes, "peksi" is incorrect, and it is a common error. It is more than that though.The incorrect use of the word "peksi" is a source of amusement for most of the Javanese keris fanciers I know, whenever they encounter it. It is just one more perceived straw of ignorance that some people will use to demonstrate that unless a person is Javanese and can speak Javanese, they cannot possibly understand the keris. It would be nice if we could extinguish this source of amusement.

Back to the keris.
Paul, you have it in your hand, I only have photos, but it looks to me as if there is an adhesive between the blade base and the gonjo base, and that there is also adhesive between the gonjo and the tang. The adhesive that is commonly used to fill these areas is normally a two part resin such as Araldite, mixed with iron filings or black artists colour.

We normally test if adhesive exists, with a needle, sometimes it is necessary to heat the needle.

This adhesive fill is common, even usual, for a very old or worn blade, it has been used in Jawa since two part resin became available ---1950's? --- its purpose in an old blade is to prevent further deterioration, and in an old, worn blade it is regarded as quite acceptable.

However, since about 1980-'82, it has also been used by some new makers as a shortcut to fix the gonjo. This blade of yours is not old, I cannot see a key used in the gonjo fit, the other acceptable way of fitting a gonjo if no key is used , is to work around the pesi and tighten the gonjo metal with a hammer and punch, this is easier and faster than using the key method, but it normally leaves punch marks on top of the gonjo and around the pesi. In the photo I cannot see these punch marks.

Because I cannot see the expected evidence of a metal to metal fit, my suspicion is that adhesive was used to fit the gonjo. If you have tested as I outlined, and there is no adhesive, then I still have no idea of exactly where this blade might come from. However, if there is adhesive, and especially if that adhesive is between the pesi and the tang, then this blade is most probably a recent Madura production, say, within the last 40 years.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote