View Single Post
Old 17th May 2016, 03:12 AM   #4
rickystl

Hi Richard.
Well, we know change came very slowly in this part of the world during the 19th Century. So the meal powder and breech design theory, at least early on makes sense. And if they thought the matchlocks proved accurate for it's day, there was probably no reason to change the design, even at the introduction of corn powder.
Of course, I'm just speculating here. But the fact that they continued to manufacture and use these matchlocks all the way up to the 1880's is a real mystery to me. That's well into the black powder cartridge period.
It seems that their thinking was after ignition, that building up initial pressure in the breech area, combined with the long barrel, offered better velocity and thus accuracy versus "building" velocity as it travels down the barrel. Just a thought.
In any case, the restriction in the bore seems to be designed to keep the ball from compressing against the powder.
By the way, do you think the picture posted here, showing the inside of the bore originated from a European matchlock design ?
If you've seen the YouTube video "Mughal Matchlock", they cut the breech of a Torador breech lengthwise. But the only show it for about 3 seconds. But it does show the design similar to the above photo. Which seems to duplicate my barrel.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote