View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2019, 08:31 PM   #15
A. G. Maisey

Kai, your comment on the reason for use of English is undoubtedly correct, and in fact, for a few years now there has been a general tendency in several fields, in Indonesia, notably amongst TV presenters, to break into English at the drop of a hat. It is seen as a status thing and draws some rather scathing comments from the general public.So status, yes, major journals, yes.Additionally, the audience for whom it was intended, even if Indonesian, would mostly read English, I believe.

So perhaps my comment was ill-considered, but then, I do not often think long and carefully before commenting, I mostly tend to shoot from the hip.

It that part of Indonesia where this writer is located, each sub-culture, and academia is a sub-culture, reflects the mores of the society at large. As I have said, my interest in an original (if one exists) is focused on use of language, it is not focused on the information contained in the paper. I would much rather not pursue the matter, bearing in mind my reason for doing so.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote