View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:20 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Yes Jean, this paper does have deficiencies, but nobody else, to my knowledge, has ever attempted anything like this. It had never even occurred to me to write something about it, even though I have seen a number of craftsmen doing this work, a number of times, both Solo and Jogja.

Also, it was written by (I believe) a graphic designer, not an historian, or somebody connected with keris, or even somebody familiar with metal working.

So it has holes in it.

But for the average collector, it gives him heaps more than he already has.

Nom-noman, nem-nemen, nam-naman (with the diacritic ring) is Sultan Agungan to present, well, at least that is what keris literate people in the 1970's &1980's in Solo reckoned it was. Sultan Agung assumed his role in 1614.

This "Kemardikan" classification is very recent, and an innovation of those who have controlled the keris trade in recent years. It is useful, certainly, and appropriate, but to my my mind it is a sub-division of nom-noman, just like HB, Koripan, Godean, Surakarta and so on.

It is true that keris manufacture stopped during the reign of PBXI, there were still pande, there were still people who could be referred to as "empu", but manufacture of weapons was prohibited under the Japanese occupation.

Thus, if we wish to end nom-noman (ie, "young" keris, nom from anom = young) classification prior to today, we should end it at 1939 or 1940. Or maybe in February 1939 when PBX left for a better place, or April 1939 when PBXI began occupation of the throne, or maybe from 1942 when the Japanese began occupation of the old Dutch East Indies. I reckon whatever date we pick, somebody will want to argue with us.

But one thing is true:- a "keris non-noman" is a "young keris", a keris that came off the bench yesterday cannot be anything other than young. According to my understanding "nom-noman" is Sultan Agungan to right now.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote